At stake in this election:
- 49 seats in the Legislative Assembly (Fono)
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: Chief TUIATUA Tupua Tamasese Efi
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Sailele Malielegaoi TUILAEPA
- Assembly: Samoa has a unicameral Legislative Assembly (Fono) with 49 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The Chief is elected by parliament.
- The Prime Minister is appointed by the president with the approval of the parliament.
- In the Legislative Assembly (Fono), 35 members are elected by plurality vote in single-member constituencies to serve 5-year terms and 14 members are elected by plurality vote in multi-member constituencies to serve 5-year terms.***
*** There seven multi-member constituencies with two seats each. One of these is reserved for part-and non-Samoans. Electors cast two votes in these districts.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Party: Human Rights Protection Party (HRPP)
- Leader: Sailele Malielegaoi TUILAEPA
- Seats won in this election: 36
- Seats won in last election: 30
- Party: Tautua Samoa Party / (TSP)**
- Leader: Va'ai Papu VAILUPE
- Seats won in this election: 13
- Seats won in last election: 0
** The TSP was formed by eleven Independent MPs. Because Samoan law states that MPs can stand only as independents if they resign from their parties during a parliamentary term, the TSP can only exist as a party outside the Fono until the next election.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 187,434 (2011)
- Registered Voters: 76,000 (February 2011 est.)
· Female Population: 90,788 (2011)
· Is Samoa a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Samoa ratified CEDAW: Yes, accession (25 September 1992)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 2 (following the 2011 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 105 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Samoa a signatory to CRPD: Yes (24 September 2014)
· Has Samoa ratified CRPD: No
· Population with a disability: 28,115 (est.)