At stake in this election:
- 17 seats in the House of Representatives
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: Queen ELIZABETH II *
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Kenneth Davis ANTHONY
- Assembly: Saint Lucia has a bicameral Parliament consisting of the Senate with 11 seats and the House of Representatives with 17 seats.
* The Queen is represented by Governor General Dame Pearlette LOUISY.
Description of electoral system:
- The Queen is the hereditary head of state.
- The Prime Minister is appointed by the governor-general.
- In the Senate 11 members are appointed to serve 5-year terms*. In the House of Representatives 17 members are elected by plurality vote in single-member constituencies to serve 5-year terms.
* In the Senate, 11 members are appointed to serve 5-year terms (6 on the advice of the prime minister, 3 on the advice of the leader of the opposition, and 2 after consultation with religious, economic, and social groups).
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Party: Saint Lucia Labor Party (SLP)
Leader: Kenneth ANTHONY
Seats won in last House of Representatives election: 14
- Party: United Workers Party (UWP)
Leader: Sir John COMPTON
Seats won in last House of Representatives election: 3
Last Parliamentary election:
- Elections to the House of Assembly were last held on 3 December 2001.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 168,458 (July 2006 est.)
- Registered Voters: 135,958 (November 2006 )