At stake in this election:
- The office of the President of the Republic of Niger
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President OUSSEINI Tinni (since 20 March 2016)
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Brigi RAFINI (since 7 April 2011)
- Niger has a unicameral National Assembly (Assemblee Nationale) with 171 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 5-year term. The President is limited to two 5-year terms.*
- The 171 members of the National Assembly are elected by two methods; 158 members are elected from eight multi-member constituencies based on the seven regions and Niamey by party-list proportional representation. A further eight seats are reserved for national minorities and five seats for Nigeriens living abroad, all elected from single-member constituencies by first-past-the-post voting.
*If no candidate receives a majority of the vote in the first round, a second round will be held on 21 February 2021.
Main Candidates in this Election:*
- Candidate: Mohamed Bazoum
- Party: Nigerien Party for Democracy and Socialism
*A total of 30 candidates are running in the election.