At stake in this election:
- The 120 seats in the Knesset
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Reuven RIVLIN*
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Benjamin NETANYAHU**
- Assembly: Israel has a unicameral Knesset with 120 seats.
* The president is largely a ceremonial role.
** After parliamentary elections, the president will usually select a prime minister they think has the best possibility of forming a new government.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by parliament to serve a 7-year term.
- Prime Minister is designated by the president to serve a 4-year term.
- In the Knesset 120 members are elected through a closed-list proportional representation system to serve 4-year terms. There is a 3.25% threshold required to gain representation. All candidates run in one national district.
Main parties in the electoral race:*
- Party: Likud**
- Leader: Benjamin NETANYAHU
- Alliance: Blue and White / Kahol Lavan ***
- Leaders: Benny GANTZ and Yair LAPID
- Party: Gesher
- Leader: Orli LEVI-ABEKSIS
- Alliance: Hadash-Ta’al****
- Leaders: Ayman ODEH and Ahmad TIBI
- Alliance: Ra’am – Balad****
- Leaders: Jamal ZAHALKA and Masud GHNAIM
- Party: Meretz
- Leader: Tamar ZANDBERG
- Party: Labor / HaAvodah
- Leader: Avi GABBAY
- Party: Shas
- Leader: Aryeh DERI
- Alliance: United Torah Judaism*****
- Leader: Moshe GAFNI and Yakov LITZMAN
- Alliance: Union of Right-Wing Parties ******
- Leader: Rafi PERETZ
- Party: New Right
- Leader: Naftali Bennet and Ayelet Shaked
- Party: Yisrael Beiteinu
- Leaders: Avigdor LIBERMAN
- Party: Kulanu
- Leader: Moshe KAHLON
* There are 43 party lists registered in this election. A full list is available here.
** Likud has entered into an agreement with United Torah Judaism to share the fifth and eighth slots on their ticket.
*** Blue and White is a joint list comprised of Hosen L’Yisrael and Yesh Atid.
**** Hadash – Ta’al is a joint list comprised of those two parties; Ra’am – Balad is a joint list comprised of those two parties.
***** United Torah Judaism is an alliance of two Ultra-Orthodox parties, Degel HaTorah and Agudat Israel.
****** Union of Right-Wing Parties is a joint list comprised of Jewish Home, Tkuma, and Otzma Yehudit.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 8,583,916 (2019 est.)
- Registered Voters: 6,339,279
- Female Population: 4,314,369 (2019 est.)
- Is Israel a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
- Has Israel ratified CEDAW: Yes (3 October 1991)
- Gender Quota: Political parties have voluntary quotas but there are no legislated quotas.
- Female Candidates in this election: Yes
- Number of Female Legislators: 33 (27.5%) of 120 seats in the Knesset
- Human Development Index (HDI) Position: 22 (2018)
- Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A (2019)
- Is Israel a signatory to CRPD: Yes (20 March 2007)
- Has Israel ratified CRPD: Yes (28 September 2012)
- Population with a disability: 1,207,397 (est.)