United States of America: President, 8 November 2016
At stake in this election:
- The office of President of the United States of America
Note on the results: Hillary CLINTON won the most votes in the Presidential election by the popular vote. However, Donald TRUMP was elected president based on the Electoral College results. TRUMP received 306 electoral votes compared to CLINTON's 232.
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Barack H. OBAMA (since 20 January 2009)
- Head of Government: President Barack H. OBAMA (since 20 January 2009)
- Assembly: The United States has a bicameral Congress consisting of the Senate with 100 seats and the House of Representatives with 435 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The president is indirectly elected by the Electoral College of ‘electors’ chosen from each state. The president serves a 4-year term with eligibility for a second term.
Note: Each state receives a number of Electoral College votes equal to its two Senators plus the number of seats it has in the House of Representatives, which is based on population. Washington DC receives 3 electoral votes. A candidate must receive a majority of electoral votes (at least 270) to be elected president.
- The last presidential election was held on 6 November 2012. Incumbent Barack OBAMA was reelected with 50.60% of the vote, defeating Mitt ROMNEY, who took 47.90%.
Main candidates in the election:
- Hillary CLINTON
- Party: Democratic Party
- Donald TRUMP
- Party: Republican Party
- Gary JOHNSON
- Party: Libertarian Party
- Jill STEIN
- Party: Green Party
Population and number of registered voters:
· Population: 323,995,528 (July 2016 est.)
· Registered Voters: 190,669,639 (2014)
· Female Population: 164,304,770 (July 2016 est.)
· Is the United States a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
· Has the United States ratified CEDAW: No
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 84 (House of Representatives); 4 (Senate)
· Human Development Index Position: 8
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is the United States a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 July 2009)
· Has the United States ratified CRPD: No
· Population with a disability: 48,599,329 (est.)