At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Kiribati
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Anote TONG *
- Head of Government: President Anote TONG
- Assembly: Kiribati has a unicameral House of Assembly (Maneaba ni Maungatabu) with 46 seats.
* The House of Assembly chooses a presidential candidate from their members and the president is then elected from these candidates.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by plurality vote to serve a 4-year term.
- In the House of Assembly (Maneaba ni Maungatabu) 44 members are elected in single- and multi-member constituencies to serve 4-year terms.***
*** There are 23 single and multi-member electoral districts.In multi-member electoral districts, voters may cast votes for up to the full number of vacant seats available. One candidate is nominated from the Banaba island, and one member is ex officio. All members serve 4-year terms.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Anote TONG
- Party: Boutokan te Koaua Party (BTKP)
- Tetaua TAITAI
- Party: Kamaeuraoan Te I-Kiribati
- Rimeta BENIAMINA
- Party: Maurin Kiribati Pati
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 106,620 (2012)
- Registered Voters: 49,910 (January 2012 estimated by IFES)
· Female Population: 54,109 (2012)
· Is Kiribati a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Kiribati ratified CEDAW: Yes, accession (17 March 2004)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: No
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 4 (following the 2011 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 137 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Kiribati a signatory to CRPD: No
· Has Kiribati ratified CRPD: Yes (27 September 2013)
· Population with a disability: 15,993 (est.)