At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Moldova
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Vladimir VORONIN *
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Vasile TARLEV
- Assembly: Moldova has a unicameral Parliament (Parlament) with 101 seats.
* The President is elected by indirect vote by the members of the Parliament to serve a 4-year term.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by indirect vote to serve a 4-year term.
- In the Parliament (Parlament) 101 members are elected by popular vote via proportional representation to serve 4-year terms.***
*** All members of the Parliament are elected in a nationwide constituency. At least 50% of registered voters must participate in the election for the poll to be deemed valid.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Vladimir VORONIN
Party: Communist Party of the Republic of Moldova / (PCRM)
- Gheorghe DUCA
Last Presidential election:
- The last presidential election was held on April 4, 2001
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 3,595,187 (2005)
- Registered Voters: 101 (March 2005 Members of Parliament.)
· Female Population: 1,873,346 (2005)
· Is Moldova a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Moldova ratified CEDAW: Yes, accession (1 July 1994)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 22 (following the 2005 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 107 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Low (2014)
· Is Moldova a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Moldova ratified CRPD: Yes (21 September 2010)
· Population with a disability: 539,278 (est.)