At stake in this Referendum:
- Two questions on the participation of the Republic of China (Taiwan) in the United Nations.
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President CHEN Shui-bian
- Head of Government: Premier Chun-hsiung CHANG
- Assembly: Taiwan has a unicameral Legislative Yuan with 113 seats. ***
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by popular vote to serve a 4-year term.
- The Premier is appointed by the President.
- In the Legislative Yuan, 73 members are elected by plurality vote in single-member constituencies to serve 4-year terms, 34 members are elected through a closed-list proportional representation system to serve 4-year terms and 6 members are elected by single non-transferable vote to serve 4-year terms.***
*** Each voter has two votes: one in a single-member constituency or in one of two three-member constituencies representing indigenous groups (highland or lowland); one for a party list. Proportional representation seats are allocated nationwide with a 5 percent threshold. A gender quota of one half applies to party lists.
Main provisions in the Referendum:
- National Referendum Proposal No. 5 calls on the government to apply for new membership in the United Nations under the name "Taiwan." 1971年中華人民共和國進入聯合國，取代中華民國，台灣成為國際孤兒。為強烈表達台灣人民的意志，提升台灣的國際地位及參與，您是否同意政府以「台灣」名義加入聯合國？)
- National Referendum Proposal No. 6 calls on the government to apply for restoration of the nation's UN membership, and for entry into other international organizations, under the name "Republic of China" or other appropriate name. 您是否同意我國申請重返聯合國及加入其它組織，名稱採務實、有彈性的策略，亦即贊成以中華民國名義、或以台灣名義、或以其他有助於成功並兼顧尊嚴的名稱，申請重返聯合國及加入其他國際組織？
- An absolute majority of voters must vote "yes." An absolute majority of registered voters must participate for the results to be valid.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 22,858,872 (July 2007 est.)
- Registered Voters: 17,313,854 (March 2008 )