At stake in this Referendum:
- Amendments to the Constitution
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Hugo CHAVEZ Frias *
- Head of Government: President Hugo CHAVEZ Frias
- Assembly: Venezuela has a unicameral National Assembly (Asamblea Nacional) with 167 seats. ***
* The president is both the chief of state and head of government. The president is elected by popular vote to serve a 6-year term which is renewable once.
*** 65 members are elected through a party-list proportional representation system and 99 by plurality vote in single- and multi-member constituencies (68 in single-member and 31 in multi-member constituencies). Three seats are reserved for the indigenous peoples of Venezuela. All members serve 5-year terms.
Main provisions in the Referendum:
- Voters were asked if they approve Block A or Block B of constitutional amendments. (Block A and Block B each contained various amended articles of the constitution).
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 26,023,528 (July 2007 est)
- Registered Voters: 15,921,223 (November 2006 est.)
· Female Population: 13,835,712 (2007)
· Is Venezuela a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
· Has Venezuela ratified CEDAW: Yes (2 May 1983)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: N/A
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 29 (following the 2005 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 71 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Very Low (2014)
· Is Venezuela a signatory to CRPD: No
· Has Venezuela ratified CRPD: Yes, accession (24 September 2013)
· Population with a disability: 3,903,529 (est.)