Legislative elections were held in Comoros on January 19, 2020; in constituencies where no candidate received a majority, a second-round was held alongside local elections on February 23, 2020.
At stake in this election:
- 24 seats in Comoros’ Assembly of the Union (Assemblée de l'Union)
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Azali ASSOUMANI (since 26 May 2016) *
- Head of Government: President Azali ASSOUMANI (since 26 May 2016)
- Assembly: Comoros has a unicameral Assembly of the Union (Assemblée de l'Union) with 33 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The 33 members of the Assembly were elected by two methods: 24 members were directly elected in single-member constituencies using the two-round system, whilst nine members (three from each) were elected by the Island assemblies of Anjouan, Grande Comore and Mohéli.