At stake in this election:
- 55 seats in the National Assembly (Assembleia Nacional)
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Evaristo CARVALHO
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Patrice TRAVOADA
- Assembly: Sao Tome and Principe has a unicameral National Assembly (Assembleia Nacional) with 55 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 5-year term.
- The Prime Minister is elected by parliament.
- In the National Assembly (Assembleia Nacional) 55 members are elected through a closed-list proportional representation system to serve 4-year terms.***
*** There are 7 multi-member constituencies.
Main parties in the electoral race:*
- Alliance: Movement for the Liberation of Sao Tome and Principe - Social Democratic Party / Movimiento de Libertação de S. Tomé e Príncipe – Partido Social Democrata (MLSTP-PSD)
- Leader: Aurélio Pires Quaresma MARTINS Osvaldo Vaz / Américo BARROS / Olimpia PINA
- Seats won in last election: 16
- Party: Independent Democratic Action / Acção Democrática Independente (ADI)
- Leader: Patrice Emery TROVOADA
- Seats won in last election: 33
- Alliance: Democratic Convergence Party – Force for Change Democratic Movement – Party of the Democratic Union for Citizenship and Development / Partido de Convergência Democrática (PCD) – Partido da União Democrática para o Cidadania e Desenvolvimento – Movimento Democrático Força de Mudança (PCD / MDFM-UDD)
- Leaders: José Luiz Xavier MENDES, Manuel dos Santos Diogo Coelho do Nascimento, Fradique Melo Bandera DE MENEZES
- Seats won in last election: N/A
- Alliance: Sao Tome and Principe Independent Citizen Movement Party / Mouvement citoyen indépendant de Sao Tomé-et-Principe (MCISTP)
- Seats won in last election: 0
* There are 15 parties and alliances in this election.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 208,818 (2018 est.)
- Registered Voters: 86,986 (2018)
- Female Population: 104,821 (2018 est.)
- Is São Tomé a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (31 October 1995)
- Has São Tomé ratified CEDAW: Yes (3 June 2003)
- Gender Quota: No
- Female candidates in this election:
- Number of Female Parliamentarians: 10 (2018)
- Human Development Index Position: 142 (2016)
- Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
- Is São Tomé and Príncipe a signatory to CRPD: No
- Has São Tomé and Príncipe ratified CRPD: Yes, accession (5 November 2015)
- Population with a disability: 29,101 (2018 est.)