Macedonia: Referendum, 30 September 2018
At stake in this referendum:
The name of the country of Macedonia
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Gjorge IVANOV
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Zoran ZAEV
- Assembly: Macedonia has a unicameral Sobranie (Assembly) consisting of 123 seats with members serving 4-year terms.
Two conditions must be met for the referendum to pass: a simple majority of participating voters voting in favor of the referendum, and at least half of all eligible voters participating in the vote.
About the referendum:
If passed, the country's name will be changed to the Republic of North Macedonia. The name change is part of a deal with Greece, in which Greece agreed not to veto Macedonia's attempt to join NATO and the EU if Macedonia agreed to change its name.
Main Provisions in the Referendum:
- Do you support EU and NATO membership by accepting the deal between Macedonia and Greece?*
* This is an unofficial translation of the original question.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 2,103,721 (July 2017 est.)
- Registered Voters: 1,779,572 (2014)
- Female Population: 1,056,037 (July 2017 est.)
- Is Macedonia a signatory to CEDAW: No
- Has Macedonia ratified CEDAW: Yes, succession (18 January 1994)
- Gender Quota: Yes
- Female candidates in this election: Yes
- Number of Female Parliamentarians: 40 (32.52%)
- Human Development Index Position: 81
- Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Medium
- Is Macedonia a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
- Has Macedonia ratified CRPD: Yes (29 December 2011)
- Population with a disability: