Senegal: Referendum, 20 March 2016
At stake in this election:
- This referendum includes 15 reforms, the most notable being a reduction of presidential terms from 7 to 5 years.
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Macky SALL (since 2 April 2012)
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Mohammed Abdallah Boun DIONNE (since 4 July 2014)
- Assembly: Senegal has a unicameral Assemblee Nationale (National Assembly) composed of 150 seats with members serving 5-year terms.
- The referendum will be decided by majority of cast votes.
About the referendum:
- If the referendum is passed, presidential term limits will be shortened from 7 years to 5, but this change will not take effect until the current 7-year term has concluded in 2019. This referendum also includes several other topics relating to democratic governmental practices.
Population and number of registered voters:
· Population: 13,975,834 (July 2015 est.)
· Registered Voters: 5,368,783 (2012)
· Female Population: 7,216,426 (July 2015 est.)
· Is Senegal a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (29 July 1980)
· Has Senegal ratified CEDAW: Yes (5 February 1985)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: N/A
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 64 (42.67%)
· Human Development Index Position: 170 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Medium (2014)
· Is Senegal a signatory to CRPD: Yes (25 April 2007)
· Has Senegal ratified CRPD: Yes (7 September 2010)
· Population with a disability: 2,096,375
 For further detail on the other proposed reforms, see the following (in French): http://www.ferloo.com/2016/03/07/les-enjeux-du-referendum-du-20-mars-2016-sur-la-duree-du-mandat-presidentiel-au-senegal-une-consolidation-dun-etat-republicain-et-democratique-par-amadou-bal-ba-a18650.html. For an article in English, see the following: http://allafrica.com/stories/201603142472.html.
 The gender quota states that candidate lists must be composed of alternating male and female candidates, thus requiring at least 50% of candidates be female.