At stake in this referendum:
- Voters will vote on four popular initiatives.
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Simonetta SOMMARUGA*
- Head of Government: President Simonetta SOMMARUGA
- Assembly: Switzerland has a bicameral Federal Assembly (Bundesversammlung/Assemblée Fédérale/Assemblea Federale) consisting of the Council of States (Ständerat/Conseil des Etats/ Consiglio degli Stati) with 46 seats and the National Council (Nationalrat/Conseil National/Consiglio Nazionale) with 200 seats.
*The Federal Presidency rotates among the 7 members of the Federal Council, which is the formal chief of state. Presently the Federal Council consists of Doris LEUTHARD, Eveline WIDMER-SCHLUMPF, Ueli MAURER, Didier BURKHALTER, Simonetta SOMMARUGA, Johan SCHNEIDER—AMMANN, and Alain BERSET.
Main provisions in the referendum:
Population and number of registered voters:
- Female Population: 4,171,800
- Is SWITZERLAND a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (23 January 1987)
- Has SWITZERLAND ratified CEDAW: Yes (27 March 1997)
- Gender Quota: No, but there are voluntary quotas adopted by political parties
- Female Candidates in this election: N/A
- Number of Female Legislators: 57 (28%) of 200 seats in the National Council (Nationalrat/ Conseil National/ Consiglio Nazionale)
- Human Development Index (HDI) Position: 3
- Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
- Is SWITZERLAND a signatory to CRPD: N/A
- Has SWITZERLAND ratified CRPD: Yes (15 April 2014)
- Population with a disability: 1,199,404