Zimbabwe: President, 30 July 2018
At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Zimbabwe
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Emmerson MNANGAGWA*
- Head of Government: President Emmerson MNANGAGWA**
- Assembly: Zimbabwe has a bicameral Parliament consisting of the Senate with 80 seats and the National Assembly with 270 seats.
* Former President Robert MUGABE was forced to resign in November 2017.
** The office of Prime Minister was abolished in 2013.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 5-year term.
- In the Senate, 60 members are elected by proportional representation at the provincial level to serve 5-year terms, 16 members are elected by regional governing councils to serve 5-year terms, 2 members are reserved for the President and Deputy President of the National Council of Chiefs to serve 5-year terms and 2 members are filled to represent persons with disabilities to serve 5-year terms*. In the National Assembly, 210 members are elected by plurality vote in single-member constituencies to serve 5-year terms and 60 members are women elected by proportional representation at the provincial level to serve 5-year terms.**
* In the Senate, 60 Senators are elected on the basis of party-list proportional representation based upon the provincial returns of votes for parties fielding candidates in the National Assembly elections. The party lists alternate gender, with every list being led by a female candidate. An additional 16 Senators are Chiefs elected by 8 non-metropolitan provincial assemblies. 2 Senators are elected to represent persons with disabilities, and the final 2 Senate seats are designated for the President and Deputy President of the National Council of Chiefs.
** In the National Assembly, 60 seats are reserved for women. In each of Zimbabwe's 10 provinces, 6 women are elected by proportional representation based on the provincial return of votes for parties fielding candidates in the National Assembly's constituency elections.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:*
- Emmerson MNANGAGWA
- Nelson CHAMISA
- Ambrose MUTINHIRI
- Party: National Patriotic Front
- Thozokani KHUPE
- Party: Movement for Democratic Change (MDC-T Khupe Faction)
- Noah MANYIKA
- Party: Build Zimbabwe Alliance
- Dumiso DABENGWA
- Elton Mangoma
- Party: Coalition of Democrats (CODE)***
- Joice MUJURU
- Party: People's Rainbow Coalition****
- Nkosana MOYO
* There are 23 candidates officially in the race.
** MDC Alliance is comprised of MDC-T, MDC, the Multi-Racial Christian Democratic Party, Zanu Ndonga, and factions of the People's Democratic Party, Transform Zimbabwe, and Zimbabwe People First.
*** CODE is comprised of Zimbabweans United for Democracy, Democratic Assembly for Restoration and Empowerment, Renewal Democrats of Zimbabwe, and Mavambo/Kusile/Dawn.
**** People's Rainbow Coalition is comprised of the National People's Party, the Democratic Assembly for Restoration and Empowerment, Zimbabweans United for Democracy, and a faction of the People's Democratic Party.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 14,546,961 (2016)
- Registered Voters: 5,874,115 (2013)
- Female Population: 7245396 (2016)
- Is Zimbabwe a signatory to CEDAW: No
- Has Zimbabwe ratified CEDAW: Yes (13 May 1991)
- Gender Quota: Yes
- Female candidates in this election: Yes
- Number of Female Parliamentarians: 63
- Human Development Index Position: 154 (2016)
- Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Medium (2014)
- Is Zimbabwe a signatory to CRPD: No
- Zimbabwe ratified CRPD: Yes (23 September 2013)
- Population with a disability: 397,226 (2012)