Mongolia: Parliamentary Election, 29 June 2016
At stake in this election:
- 76 seats in the Ulsyn Ikh Khural (State Great Hural)
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Tsakhia ELBEGDORJ (since 18 June 2009)
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Chimed SAIKHANBILEG (since 21 November 2014)
- Assembly: Mongolia has a unicameral Ulsyn Ikh Khural (State Great Hural) composed of 76 seats with members serving 4-year terms.
Description of electoral system:
- In the State Great Hural, 48 members are directly elected in multi-seat constituencies by simple majority vote and 28 are directly elected in multi-seat constituencies by proportional representation vote.
- Elections for the State Great Hural were last held on 28 June 2012. The Democratic Party won 33 seats, the Mongolian People’s Party won 27, the Justice Coalition won 11, and Civil Will (Green Party) won 2. Additionally, 3 independent candidates won seats.
- However, following the election, 2 DP candidates gained seats when winning MPP candidates were found to have broken electoral law. Additionally, candidates in 2 constituencies did not receive enough of the vote to be elected, and MPP candidates won in a revote. The seats numbers listed below reflect the current number of seats held by each party.
Main parties in the election:
- Democratic Party (DP)/Ardchilsan Nam
- Leader: Altankhuyag NOROV
- Seats won in last election: 35
- Mongolian People’s Party (MPP)/Mongol Ardiin Nam
- Leader: Miyegombo ENKHBOLD
- Seats won in last election: 26
- Justice Coalition
- Leader: Nambar ENKHBAYAR and Mendsaikhan ENKHSAIKHAN
- Seats won in last election: 10
- Civil Will Republican Party (Green Party)/Irgenii Zorig–Nogoon Nam
- Leader: Sanjaasuren OYUN, Sambuu DEMBEREL, and Dangaasuren ENKHBAT
- Seats won in last election: 2
- New Labor Party (XYH)/ Хөдөлмөрийн Үндэсний Нам
- Leader: S. GANBAATAR
- Seats won in last election: 1
Population and number of registered voters:
· Population: 2,992,908 (July 2015 est.)
· Registered Voters: 1,856,190 (2013)
· Female Population: 1,525,439 (July 2015 est.)
· Is Mongolia a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
· Has Mongolia ratified CEDAW: Yes (20 July 1981)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 11 (14.47%)
· Human Development Index Position: 90 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Very Low (2014)
· Is Mongolia a signatory to CRPD: N/A
· Has Mongolia ratified CRPD: Yes (13 May 2009)
· Population with a disability: 448,936
 The Justice Coalition is composed of two smaller political parties: the Mongolian National Democratic Party (MNDP) and the Mongolian People’s Revolutionary Party (MPRP).
 ENKHBAYAR and ENKHSAIKHAN are the leaders of the two member parties of the Justice Coalition, the MPRP and the MNDP, respectively.