Note on the results: Candidate Martin FAYULU is contesting the results. If any official changes are made, the results shown here will be updated.
At stake in this election:
- The office of the President of the Democratic Republic of the Congo
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Joseph KABILA*
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Bruno TSHIBALA
- Assembly: Democratic Republic of the Congo has a bicameral Parliament (Parlement) consisting of the Senate (Sénat) with 108 seats and the National Assembly (Assemblée Nationale) with 500 seats.
* President Joseph KABILA will not be seeking re-election.
Description of electoral system:
- The Democratic Republic of the Congo is a semi-presidential republic. The President is directly elected through a First-Past-the-Post (FPTP) system for a 5-year term that is renewable only once.
- The Prime Minister is appointed by the President, usually from the majority party or coalition in the National Assembly.
- In the Senate (Sénat) 108 members are indirectly elected by provincial assemblies through an open-list proportional representation system to serve 5-year terms.
- In the National Assembly (Assemblée Nationale), there are 62 single member constituencies and 438 multi-member constituencies. In single-member constituencies, the winner is decided by simple majority via FPTP. In multi-member constituencies (two or more seats), a single vote is cast for open proportional representation lists. All members of the National Assembly serve 5-year terms.
Main candidates in the election:*
- Candidate: Emmanuel Ramazani SHADARY
- Party: Independent
- Candidate: Martin FAYULU
- Party: Engagement for Citizenship and Development Party / Partie d’Engagement pour la Citoyenneté et le Développement**
- Candidate: Felix TSHISEKEDI
- Party: Union for Democracy and Social Porgress / Union pour la Démocratie et la progrés social (UDPS)
- Candidate: Vital KAMERHE
- Union for the Congolese Nation / Union pour la Nation Conglaise (UNC)
* There are 21 candidates running in this election.
** Five opposition leaders have agreed to support Martin FAYULU in this race.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 84,004,989 (2018 est.)
- Registered Voters: 40,287,387 (2018)
- Female Population: 42,084,693 (2018 est.)
- Is the Democratic Republic of the Congo a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
- Has the Democratic Republic of the Congo ratified CEDAW: Yes (17 October 1986)
- Gender Quota: Yes
- Female candidates in this election:
- Number of Female Parliamentarians: 44 (National Assembly); 5 (Senate)
- Human Development Index Position: 176 (2018)
- Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Very High (2014)
- Is the Democratic Republic of the Congo a signatory to CRPD: No
- Has ratified CRPD: Yes (30 September 2015 accession)
- Population with a disability: 11,906,270 (2018 est.)