Cayman Islands: Legislative Assembly, 24 May 2017
At stake in this election:
- 18 seats in the Legislative Assembly
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: Queen ELIZABETH II (since 6 February 1952); represented by Governor Helen KILPATRICK (since 6 September 2013)
- Head of Government: Premier Alden MCLAUGHLIN (since 29 May 2013)
- Assembly: The Cayman Islands have a unicameral Legislative Assembly of 20 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The Queen is hereditary and the governor is appointed by the monarch.
- The governor appoints the leader of the majority party in the Legislative Assembly the premier.
- 18 members of the Legislative Assembly are elected by majority vote in single-member constituencies. The remaining two seats, the deputy governor and attorney general are appointed by the governor. All members serve 4-year terms.
- The 2017 election is the first to use a "one man, one vote" system.
- In the 2013 elections, the People's Progressive Movement won the majority with 9 seats. The United Democratic Party and Coalition for Cayman each won 3 seats and the National People's Alliance won 1 seat. The remaining two seats went to independents.
Main candidates in the election:
- People's Progressive Movement (PPM)
- Leader: Alden MCLAUGHLIN
- Seats won in last election: 9
- United Democratic Party (UDP)
- Leader: McKeeva BUSH
- Seats won in last election: 3
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 57,268 (July 2016)
- Registered Voters: 21,465 (2017)
- Female Population: 29,352 (July 2016)
- Is the Cayman Islands a signatory to CEDAW: No
- Has the Cayman Islands ratified CEDAW: Yes (extended by the UK 16 March 2016)
- Gender Quota: No
- Female candidates in this election: Yes
- Number of Female Parliamentarians: 2
- Human Development Index Position: N/A
- Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
- Is the Cayman Islands a signatory to CRPD: No
- Has the Cayman Islands ratified CRPD: No
- Population with a disability: 8,590
 Calculated using WHO estimate of 15%