*Note: Official results did not have information for Cordoba province, which has 2,789,021 registered voters. This resulted in a seemingly lower voter turnout than was the case, and complete counts and percentages could not be provided for political parties.
At stake in this election:
- 130 seats in the Chamber of Deputies (Cámara de Diputados)
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Cristina FERNANDEZ DE KIRCHNER *
- Head of Government: President Cristina FERNANDEZ DE KIRCHNER
- Assembly: Argentina has a bicameral National Congress (Congreso de la nación) consisting of the Senate (Senado) with 72 seats and the Chamber of Deputies (Cámara de Diputados) with 257 seats.
*The electoral system is two-round. To avoid a runoff, the winner must win 45 percent of valid votes. Alternatively, they must win 40 percent of valid votes and at least 10 points more than the next-placed candidate.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by qualified majority to serve a 4-year term.
- In the Senate (Senado) 72 members are elected through a closed-list proportional representation system to serve 6-year terms.** In the Chamber of Deputies (Cámara de Diputados) 257 members are elected through a closed-list proportional representation system to serve 4-year terms.***
**One-third of the Senate is renewable every two years. Senators are elected from 24 multi-member districts, with 3 Senators. 2 Senate seats per district are granted to the party receiving the highest number of votes, while the other seat is given to the first minority party.
***One-half of the Chamber of Deputies is renewable every two years. Party lists are closed. There are 24 multi-member districts. The threshold is 3 percent.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Party: Front for Victory / Frente para la Victoria (FPV)
Leader: Cristina FERNANDEZ DE KIRCHNER
Seats won in last election: 47
- Party: Renewal Front
Leader: Sergio MASSA
Seats won in last election: 19
- Party: Republican Proposal / Propuesta Republicana (PRO)
Leader: Mauricio MACRI
Seats won in last election: 12
- Party: Worker’s Left Front
Leader: Jorge ALTAMIRA
Seats won in last election: 3
- Party: Federal Peronism (Justicialist Party) / Peronismo Federal (Partido Justicialista)
Leader: Eduardo FELLNER
Seats won in last election: 7
- Party: Radical Civic Union
Leader: Mario BARLETTA
Seats won in last election: 6
- Party: Neuquén People's Movement / Movimiento Popular Neuquino (MPN)
Leader: Jorge SOBISCH
Seats won in last election: 2
- The last election for the Chamber of Deputies was held on 27 October 2013. There were 30,635,464 registered voters for the election. The Front for Victory Party won 47 seats (34.47% of the vote); the Progressive, Civic and Social Front won 30 seats (20.34% of the vote); the Renewal Front won 19 seats (19.59% of the vote); the Republican Proposal won 12 seats (8.21% of the vote); the Worker’s Left Front won 3 seats (6.82% of the vote); the Federal Peronism (Justicialist Party) won 7 seats (5.60% of the vote); the Radical Civic Union won 6 seats (4.27% of the vote); the Neuquén People's Movement won 2 seats (0.61% of the vote); and the Popular Party won 1 seat.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 43,024,374 (2014 est.)
- Registered voters: 30,635,464 (2013)
- Female Population: 21,813,896 (2014 est.)
- Is Argentina a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
- Has Argentina ratified CEDAW: Yes (15 July 1985)
- Gender Quota: Yes
- Female Candidates in this election: Yes
- Number of Female Legislators: 94 (37%) of 257 seats in the Chamber of Deputies (Cámara de Diputados)
- Human Development Index (HDI) Position: 49
- Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Very Low
- Is Argentina a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
- Has Argentina ratified CRPD: Yes (2 September 2008)
- Population with a disability: 6,453,656