Election was cancelled on October 19, 2013. Police surrounded the Election Commission, preventing them from doing their work and proceeding with the election.
At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Maldives
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Mohammed WAHEED Hassan Maniku *
- Head of Government: President Mohammed WAHEED Hasssan Maniku
- Assembly: Maldives has a unicameral People's Council (Majlis) with 77 seats.
* On February 7, 2012, Maldives President Mohamed NASHEED stepped down amidst political unrest. Vice President Mohamed WAHEED Hassan Maniku assumed the office of President.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 5-year term.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Mohamed NASHEED
- Qasim IBRAHIM
- Abdulla YAMEEN
- Elections for the office of the President were originally held on September 7, 2013. In that election, Mohamed NASHEED gained the most votes, but fell short of crossing the 50 percent threshold needed to win the presidency outright. Following the election Qasim IBRAHIM, who finished third, challenged the results in the Supreme Court, alleging voter fraud. On October 7, the Supreme Court of the Maldives annulled the results of the original election. The first round of new voting will be held by October 20, 2013, with a run-off to be held before November 11, 2013, if necessary. Following the call for new elections, President Mohammed WAHEED Hasssan Maniku, who had received only 5.13% of votes in the first round, announced that he was withdrawing his candidacy from the second round of elections.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 393,988 (July 2013 est.)
- Registered Voters: 239,593 (September 2013)
· Female Population: 195,943 (2013)
· Is Maldives a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Maldives ratified CEDAW: Yes, acession (1 July 1993)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: No
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 5 (following the 2009 parliamentary elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 104 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Maldives a signatory to CRPD: Yes (2 October 2007)
· Has Maldives ratified CRPD: Yes (5 April 2010)
· Population with a disability: 59,098 (est.)