At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Kyrgyzstan
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Roza OTUNBAYEVA *
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Omurbek BABANOV (BABANOV is Acting Prime Minister)
- Assembly: Kyrgyzstan has a unicameral Supreme Council (Jorgorku Kenesh) with 120 seats.
* OTUNBAYEVA became acting president following the early April 2010 riots that overthrew President Kurmanbek BAKIEV
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 5-year term.
- The Prime Minister is nominated by parliament to serve a 5-year term.**
- In the Supreme Council (Jorgorku Kenesh) 120 members are elected through a closed-list proportional representation system to serve 5-year terms.***
** The prime minister is nominated by the parliamentary party which holds more than 50% of the seats. The nomination must then be approved by the president. If no party holds more than 50% of seats, the president may select the party that will nominate a prime minister.
*** There is a five percent threshold for gaining representation. Parties are capped at 65 seats total.
** After the February 27th elections, the parliament will become a unicameral body with 75 seats.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Almazbek Sharshenovich ATAMBAYEV
- Kamchybek TASHIYEV
- Adakhan MADUMAROV
- Party: United Kyrgyzstan / Butun Kyrgyzstan
- Omurbek SUVANALIEV
- Independent(s): N/A
- Temirbek ASANBEKOV
- Party: Meken Yntymagy
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 5,514,600 (2011)
- Registered Voters: 3,034,084 (October 2011 )
· Female Population: 2,794,157 (2011)
· Is Kyrgyzstan a signatory to CEDAW: N/A
· Has Kyrgyzstan ratified CEDAW: Yes, accession (10 February 1997)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: No
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 28 (following the 2010 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 120 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Medium (2014)
· Is Kyrgyzstan a signatory to CRPD: Yes (21 September 2011)
· Has Kyrgyzstan ratified CRPD: No
· Population with a disability: 827,190 (est.)