At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Togo
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Speaker of Parliament Abass BONFOH (Acting President)
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Koffi SAMA
- Assembly: Togo has a unicameral National Assembly with 81 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by popular vote to serve a 5-year term.
- Prime Minister is elected by popular vote to serve a 5-year term.
- In the National Assembly 81 members are elected by popular vote to serve 5-year terms.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Faure GNASSINGBE
- Party: Rally of the Togolese People (RTP)
- Emmanuel BOB AKITANI**
- Coalition: UFC, ADDI, BUS, CDPA, PSR, and UDS
- Nicolas LAWSON
- Party: Party for Renewal and Redemption
- Harry OLYMPIO
- Party: Rally for the Support for Development and Democracy (RSDD)
** Union of Forces for Change (UFC), Alliance for Democracy and Integral Development (ADDI), Action Committee for Revival (BUS), Democratic Convention of the African People (CDPA), Socialist Revival Party (PSR), and the Union for Democracy and Solidarity (UDS)
Last Presidential election:
- The last presidential election was held on June 1, 2003. Gnassingbe EYADEMA won with 57% of the vote while Emmanuuel BOB AKITANI secured 34% of the vote.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 5,578,219 (2005)
- Registered Voters: 3,599,306 (2005)
· Female Population: 2,840,905 (2005)
· Is Togo a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Togo ratified CEDAW: Yes, accession (26 September 1983)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: No
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 6 (following the 2002 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 162 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Medium (2014)
· Is Togo a signatory to CRPD: Yes (23 September 2008)
· Has Togo ratified CRPD: Yes (1 March 2011)
· Population with a disability: 836,732 (est.)