At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Algeria
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Abdelaziz BOUTEFLIKA
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Ahmed OUYAHIA
- Assembly: Algeria has a bicameral Parliament consisting of the National People's Assembly (Al-Majlis Ech-Chaabi Al-Watani) with 389 seats and the Council of Nations (Senate) with 144 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by direct popular vote to serve a 5-year term.
- In the National People's Assembly (Al-Majlis Ech-Chaabi Al-Watani) 389 members are elected by popular vote to serve 5-year terms. In the Council of Nations (Senate), 96 members are elected by indirect vote to serve 6-year terms and 48 members are appointed to serve 6-year terms.**
** One-third of the seats are appointed by the president while the remaining two-thirds are secured by indirect votes. National Council members have a six-year term, and 50% of the seats are renewed every three years.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Adbelaziz BOUTEFLIKA*
- Party: Society of Peace Movement (MSP) and National Democratic Assembly (RND)
- Ali BENFLIS
- Party: National Liberation Front (FLN)
- Abdallah DJABALLAH
- Party: Islamic El Islah Movement
- Said SADI
- Party: Liberal Rally for Culture and Democracy
- Louiza HANOUNE
- Party: Workers Party
- Ali Faouzi REBAINE
- Party: AHD Party
* BOUTEFLIKA was backed by a coalition including the RND, the MSP, and rebel members of the National Liberation Front (FLN).
Last Presidential election:
- Last presidential election was held on April 15, 1999. In this election, Abdelaziz BOUTEFLIKA won the presidency with over 70% of the votes, after his opponents withdrew from the race citing electoral fraud.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 32,818,500 (July 2003 est.)
- Registered Voters: 18,097,225 (2004)
· Female Population: 16,049,150 (2004)
· Is Algeria a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Algeria ratified CEDAW: Yes, accession (22 May 1996)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: No
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 26 (6.68%) (2002)
· Human Development Index Position: 83 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Algeria a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Algeria ratified CRPD: Yes (4 December 2009)
· Population with a disability: 4,922,775 (est.)