At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Mongolia
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Natsagiin BAGABANDI
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Nambaryn ENKHBAYAR
- Assembly: Mongolia has a unicameral Parliament (State Great Hural) with 76 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by popular vote to serve a 4-year term.
- In the Parliament (State Great Hural) 76 members are elected by popular vote to serve 4-year terms.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Natsagiin BAGABANDI
- Party: Mongolian People's Revolutionary Party (MPRP)
- Radnaasumberel GONCHIGDORJ
- Party: Mongolian Democratic Party (MDP)
- Radnaagumbereliin DASHNYAM
- Party: Civil Will Party (CWP)
Last Presidential election:
- Presidential elections were last held on May 18, 1997. President Natsagiyn BAGABANDI received 60.8% of the vote, thereby defeating Punsalmaagiyn OCHIRBAT, his closest competitor who received 29.8%.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 2,419,729 (2001)
- Registered Voters: 1,205,885 (2001)
· Female Population: 1,212,804 (2001)
· Is Mongolia a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
· Has Mongolia ratified CEDAW: Yes (20 July 1981)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: No
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 8 (following the 2000 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 90 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Very Low (2014)
· Is Mongolia a signatory to CRPD: No
· Has Mongolia ratified CRPD: Yes, accession (13 May 2009)
· Population with a disability: 362,959 (est.)