At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Armenia
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Levon Akopovich TER-PETROSSIAN
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Robert KOCHARIAN
- Assembly: Armenia has a unicameral National Assembly (Azgayin Zhoghov) with 131 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 5-year term.
- The Prime Minister is appointed by the president with the approval of the parliament.
- In the National Assembly (Azgayin Zhoghov), 75 members are elected through a party-list proportional representation system to serve 5-year terms and 56 members are elected by plurality vote in single-member constituencies to serve 5-year terms.
Main Candidates in the Second Round of the Presidential race:
- Robert KOCHARIAN
- Party: Independent
- Karen DEMIRCHIAN
- Party: Civil Initiative (CI)
Last Presidential election:
- The last presidential election was held on September 22, 1996. Levon TER-PETROSIAN received 51.75% of the vote and thus defeated Vazgen MANUKIAN, his closest competitor with 41.29% of the vote.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 3,433,629 (July 1997 est.)
- Registered Voters: 2,293,636 ( 1998 )
· Female Population:1,652,676 (1998)
· Is Armenia a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Armenia ratified CEDAW: Yes, accession (13 September 1993)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: No
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 12 (1995)
· Human Development Index Position: 85 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: High (2014)
· Is Armenia a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Armenia ratified CRPD: Yes (22 September 2010)
· Population with a disability: 515,044 (est.)