At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Costa Rica
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Jose Maria FIGUERES Olsen
- Head of Government: President Jose Maria FIGUERES Olsen
- Assembly: Costa Rica has a unicameral Legislative Assembly (Asamblea Legislativa) with 57 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by popular vote to serve a 4-year term.
- In the Legislative Assembly (Asamblea Legislativa) 57 members are elected by direct popular vote to serve 4-year terms.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Miguel Angel RODRIGUEZ Echeverria
- Party: Social Christian Unity Party (PUSC)
- Jose Miguel CORRALES
- Party: National Liberation Party (PLN)
- Other candidates
- Party: N/A
Last Presidential election:
- The last presidential election was held on February 6, 1994. Jose Maria FIGUERES Olsen received 49.7% of the vote and thus defeated Miguel Angel RODRIGUEZ Echeverria, his closest competitor with 47.5% of the vote.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 3,767,369 (1998)
- Registered Voters: 2,045,980 (1998)
· Female Population: 1,874,942 (1998)
· Is Costa Rica a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
· Has Costa Rica ratified CEDAW: Yes (4 April 1986)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 11 (following 1998 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 69 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Low (2014)
· Is Costa Rica a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Costa Rica ratified CRPD: Yes (1 October 2008)
· Population with a disability: 565,105 (est.)