At stake in this Referendum:
- Referendum on the renewal of Switzerland's agreement with the European Union on the free movement of peoples, as well as on the approval of a protocol to extend the agreement on free movement to Romania and Bulgaria.
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Hanz-Rudolf MERZ *
- Head of Government: President Hanz-Rudolf MERZ
- Assembly: Switzerland has a bicameral Federal Assembly (Bundesversammlung, Assemblée Fédérale) consisting of the Council of States (Standerat, Conseil des Etats, or Consiglio degli Stati) with 46 seats* and the National Council (Nationalrat, Conseil National, or Consiglio Nazionale) with 200 seats.
* The President is elected by the Federal Council and serves a one-year term.
* The Council of States consists of 46 members. Two representatives are elected by a simple majority vote from each of the 20 cantons and one is elected from each of the six half-cantons.
- An absolute majority of voters must vote "yes" in order for the EU agreement to be renewed and extended to include Romania and Bulgaria.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 7,743,831 (2009)
- Registered Voters: 4,891,363 (February 2009)
· Female Population: 3,936,174 (2009)
· Is Switzerland a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (23 January 1987)
· Has Switzerland ratified CEDAW: Yes (27 March 1997)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: N/A
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 59 (National Council); 10 (Council of States) following the 2007 elections
· Human Development Index Position: 3 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Switzerland a signatory to CRPD: No
· Has Switzerland ratified CRPD: Yes, accession (15 April 2014)
· Population with a disability: 1,161,574 (est.)