At stake in this Referendum:
- This referendum is to approve the new European Union Constitution.
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Jacques CHIRAC
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Dominique DE VILLEPIN
- Assembly: France has a bicameral Parliament (Parlement) consisting of the Senate (Sénat) with 321 seats and the National Assembly (Assemblée Nationale) with 577 seats.
Main provisions in the Referendum:
- This referendum is to approve the new European Union Constitution. "Do you approve of the law project which authorizes the ratification of the treaty giving Europe a Constitution? "
"Approuvez-vous le projet de loi qui autorise la ratification du traité établissant une Constitution pour l'Europe?"
- Popular majority is required for the referendum to pass.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 63,179,356 (2005)
- Registered Voters: 41,789,202 (May 2005)
· Female Population: 32,349,115 (2005)
· Is France a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
· Has France ratified CEDAW: Yes (14 December 1980)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: N/A
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 71 (National Assembly) following 2002 election; 56 (Senate) following 2004 election)
· Human Development Index Position: 22 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Very Low
· Is France a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has France ratified CRPD: Yes (18 February 2010)
· Population with a disability: 9,476,903 (est.)