At stake in this election:
- 30 seats in the House of Assembly
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: Queen ELIZABETH II *
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Freundel STUART
- Assembly: Barbados has a bicameral Parliament consisting of the Senate with 21 seats and the House of Assembly with 30 seats.
* The Queen is represented by Governor General Sir Eliot BELGRAVE.
Description of electoral system:
- The Queen is hereditary head of state.
- In the Senate 21 members are appointed by the governor-general. In the House of Assembly 30 members are elected by direct vote to serve 5-year terms.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Party: Barbados Labor Party (BLP)
Leader: Owen Seymour ARTHUR
Seats won in last House of Assembly election: 10
- Party: Democratic Labor Party (DLP)
Leader: Freundel STUART
Seats won in last House of Assembly election: 20
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 287,733 (December 2012 est.)
- Registered Voters: 235,510 (January 2008 )