At stake in this election:
- 462 seats in the National People's Assembly (Al-Majlis Ech-Chaabi Al-Watani)
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Abdelaziz BOUTEFLIKA *
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Ahmed OUYAHIA
- Assembly: Algeria has a bicameral Parliament (Majlis) consisting of the Council of the Nation (Majlis al-Oumma) with 144 seats and the National People's Assembly (Al-Majlis Ech-Chaabi Al-Watani) with 462 seats.
* A November 2008 constitutional amendment abolished presidential term limits.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 5-year term.
- The Prime Minister is appointed by the President.
- In the Council of the Nation (Majlis al-Oumma), 96 members are indirectly elected by an electoral college to serve 6-year terms and 48 members are appointed by the President to serve 6-year terms*. In the National People's Assembly (Al-Majlis Ech-Chaabi Al-Watani) 462 members are elected through a closed-list proportional representation system to serve 5-year terms.**
* The Constitution requires half the Council of Nations to be renewed every three years. There are 48 multi-member (2 seats) corresponding to country's wilayas (administrative districts).
** There is a five percent threshold for entering parliament. There are 48 multi-member districts, corresponding to country's administrative units. Depending on the area, 20 to 50 percent of parties' list candidates must be women.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Party: National Rally for Democracy / التجمع الوطني الديمقراطي, Rassemblement National Démocratique (RND)
Leader: Ahmed OUYAHIA
- Party: Workers' Party / Hizb al-Ummal حزب العمال Parti des Travailleurs,
Leader: Louise HANOUNE
- Party: Socialist Forces Front / جبهة القوى الاشتراكية Front des Forces socialistes
Leader: Hocine Aït AHMED
- Party: National Liberation Front / جبهة التحرير الوطني; Front de Libération Nationale (FLN)
Leader: Abdelaziz BOUTEFLIKA
- Alliance: Green Algeria*****
***** The Green Alliance is composed of the Mouvement de la société pour la paix (MSP), Ennahda; and Islah.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 35,406,303 (July 2012 est.)
- Registered Voters: 21,645,841 (May 2012 )